How Do The ADTB Online Courses Work?
- Participants of the ADTB courses do not need to travel to take the courses. These are provided online. When students book a course, or, all 6 courses, they are given access to the private ADTB members´ forum. No person can access this forum except ADTB members and course students.
- A welcome package is sent by email explaining the process of enrolment. Once enrolment has taken place and registration activated students can then log into the forum, click on their course(s) and download the files (in Adobe Reader PDF format) to their own computer. The entire process is very simple.
- Should students have questions about any aspect of the course they have daily email back-up from Jenni Watson.
- Should they wish to have more than one opinion on any canine matter whether regarding Training, Behaviour, Health, Practical Training information, Methods and case histories they can post their topic to the forum and receive the views of any other forum member who may wish to offer their own opinions.
- Upon completion of each course students apply to the ADTB Office for their test paper which is emailed to them. They do not have to be academics to pass these tests. They are simply designed to ensure that students have taken in the content of each course. Provided their test paper reaches the required standard the student will receive a diploma to recognize every successful test.
- There is no time limit for completion of the courses. Some people will complete all courses in a matter of weeks whilst others may take more than a year. It is entirely up to the individual.
- Participants need not have any previous Dog Training experience. What the courses offer is a starting point but we highly recommend that our students look for ways of gaining hands on experience which is needed before anyone should embark on training members of the public and their dogs.
Levels Of Qualifications Within The ADTB
Upon completion of all 6 online courses and provided a PASS mark has been achieved for the paperwork required, students will be accepted into the ADTB as an ADTB GRADUATE and their details will be listed on the ADTB GRADUATES page. This will act as a reference for students to show that they have undertaken the ADTB ONLINE study courses. It does not however indicate that the student has satisfied the ADTB that they have adequate hands on experience.
Students who achieve ADTB Graduate status can either remain at that level or, move to APPROVED INSTRUCTOR at a later stage.
ADTB Approved Instructor
Should students wish to gain membership as an ADTB APPROVED INSTRUCTOR (after successful completion of the ADTB theory courses) this can be done in one of two ways.
1. Should the student have a minimum of one years practical training experience and be in a position to submit two independent references to accompany this claim they can gain automatic membership as an ADTB Fully Approved Instructor.
2.If the student does not have the required practical experience they can (when they feel ready) attend a one off practical assessment with an ADTB assessor.
In most cases the student would travel to the assessors place of training to take their assessment.
They would be asked to train a small class of dogs and their owners incorporating the information contained in the Online courses. Candidates are encouraged to also use their own input of methods. What this means is that if you are a great believer in a certain method of training, i.e. "Clicker Training" this is acceptable.
For students who elect for option 2.
Before the ADTB can approve candidates the assessor must be satisfied that the candidate appears capable of holding a safe, happy, fun and beneficial training class.
If the assessment is successful, membership within the ADTB would be upgraded from Graduate to ADTB APPROVED INSTRUCTOR.
Please note that a charge of £40 is payable to the assessor. This must be paid at the time of assessment and participants must be prepared to meet the travel costs. For a list of assessors and the areas in which they train please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our courses are suitable for persons living outside the UK. Please contact us for further details.
For those who book all 6 online courses, and successfully achieve and pass our standard requirements and tests, students will receive one year's free membership of the ADTB (value £35). After this time a yearly subscription fee of £35 is required to continue ADTB membership.
Each course offers an ADTB diploma upon completion and achievement. This diploma does not indicate that the holder is an ADTB Approved Instructor. It indicates that the participant has undertaken the course named on each diploma and passed the test
Only those who have met our criteria are offered membership as an Approved Instructor.